Deep cleaning carpets, rugs & upholstery makes a big difference to your home looking and smelling fresh & clean. Particularly if you have stains, pet smells or clumsy children! Having your home carpets regularly cleaned will maintain quality for longer.
So, should you hire a professional carpet cleaner to do the job for you, or hire/buy a carpet shampoo machine to do the job yourself?
In this blog post, we outline the pro’s and con’s of both. We’ve compared price, quality and convenience so that you can make the decision that’s best for you.
Professional Carpet Cleaning
Professional carpet cleaners have the tools, solutions, industrial machines and the knowledge to deep clean most carpets, upholstery & rugs. They should know how to best lift specific stains, clean delicate carpet types, and deodorise bad odours.
Pros of Having Carpets Professionally Cleaned
- Professionals have a wide range of carpet shampoos and treatments to treat specific issues such as odour, stains, thick dirt and grease
- Their expert knowledge means they will use the right solution for your carpet, upholstery or rug type
- It saves you time and effort – professionals will take on average 2-3 hours to clean carpets in a standard 4 bedroom home.
Cons of Having Carpets Professionally Cleaned
- Cost is more in the long term compared to investing in your own carpet washer machine.
- Average price for a standard house with 4 bedrooms, hallways, stairs, landing & lounge is around £135
- Most carpet cleaning professionals only work weekdays, which limits their availability if you’re working in the office full time
- You cannot control which products the professional is using
At Home Carpet Cleaning with a Carpet Cleaning Shampoo Machine
Cleaning your own carpets at home has become even easier since machines such as Vax, Bissell, Rug Doctor, Karcher & Henry have been invented.
These machines are just as good at generally deep cleaning carpets throughout your home. You can also use them to clean car interior, rugs & upholstery.
Pros of Cleaning Your Own Carpets
- Cleaning a carpeted 4 bedroom house using Dirtbusters Clean & Deodorise solution costs on average £1.44. The most cost-effective way of cleaning your home carpets.
- Investing in a machine means it’s available any time you have a spill, odour or stain so that you can quickly clean the area without having to wait for an appointment
- There are a wide variety of carpet cleaning machines that can clean carpets, upholstery, rugs, car interior & even hard floors. Machines such as a Rug Doctor, can be hired from £24.99.
- You can choose which products you want to use in your home e.g. non-toxic, safe solutions.
Cons of Cleaning Your Own Carpets
- Initial investment of purchasing a machine can be costly. Machines range from £150-£300.
- The time it takes to clean your own carpets can be a challenge for many with a busy lifestyle
- Without professional knowledge some more difficult issues, such as browning in carpets and very bad odours, can be difficult to tackle to the best standard.
- You need to follow the correct steps to achieve best, professional standard carpet cleaning results – hoover, Pre Spray & carpet shampoo.
Which option should you choose?
Investing in a carpet washer machine is an initial cost, but for a lot of people this pays off with the amount of cost-effective cleans you can achieve. You do need to have the time to clean yourself, which is recommended every 6-8 months.
There’s a wide range of products in our carpet cleaning category, used by both professionals and non-professionals. They’re good enough for professionals, and easy & safe enough to use for non-professionals too. They are all compatible with any carpet extraction cleaning machine.
Our carpet shampoo solutions come in 5 Litre concentrated bottles. This 5 Litres of product makes 500 Litres of diluted solution. Which is £3.95 per litre of concentrate (based on Clean & Deodorise). On average in a 4 bedroom house, you would need 400ml of our product, at a dilution rate of 10ml to 1Litre, that’s just £1.44 to clean your whole house!
Hiring a carpet cleaning professional to clean your carpets for you can save time and energy. They are also best at choosing products for specific challenging problems. They are usually in and out within 2-3 hours depending on the size and quantity of rooms.
Both options have great benefits, and both achieve professionally clean results. Which option you choose depends on the severity of stains, soiling and odours in your carpets, as well as time and money.
If you have any questions about cleaning carpets, get in touch. Our expert team is always happy to help firstname.lastname@example.org